The Joe Rogan Experience Podcast
Top Of The Podcast Game
To me, there is no one creating better podcast content than Joe Rogan. He is a prolific producer of shows and the guests and discussions are consistently compelling.
The guests on Joe’s podcast are reflective of his array of interests. The conversations are free to go anywhere, though, regardless of the guest’s connection to Joe or the industry they represent.
The Joe Rogan Experience podcast is built around casual conversations in a long-form format. While Joe is a comedian at heart, it is the recurring themes of deconstructing life that has hooked me in and kept me coming back.
There have been some brilliant moments on The JRE podcast that have sparked some considerable changes in my own life. Changes that have made a powerful and positive impact on my health, career, and relationships.
There are over 1,000 episodes of the Joe Rogan Experience podcast available and it can appear to be almost overwhelming to get started. To try and assist in navigating his entire catalog I have compiled my ten favorite guests.
Here Are The Top Ten Guests Of The Joe Rogan Experience Podcast:
(ranked in no specific order)
1. Duncan Trussell - Duncan is a comedian and podcaster as well. He seems to possess a considerable desire for exploring consciousness and what this journey of life is truly all about. Duncan always drops some significant nuggets of wisdom each and every time he is on the podcast. Every episode he is on is a must view. Make sure to also check out the joint episodes where Duncan is joined by author Christopher Ryan as well.
2. Randall Carlson - Randall was the first guest and episode I ever watched of the JRE podcast. I do not consider myself a science enthusiast, but Randall is a compelling character and his brand of science is incredibly fascinating. Randall has theories about asteroidal impacts causing seismic global shifts in geology and humanity, particularly around the ice ages.
Some of the far-flung implications and possibilities from these theories that Randall and Joe discuss are jaw dropping. No other platform than Joe’s podcast could give Randall the time and respect his science deserves.
3. Graham Hancock - Like Randall Carlson, the theories and discussions stemming from Graham Hancock are unlike any science or history you have previously encountered. Graham, noted author, theorizes that human civilizations extend back much further than what is accepted in academia.
Based on this he also theorizes that these civilizations excelled in arts, science, and technology at levels we can not even comprehend. These civilizations and their progress have since been wiped clean entirely due to dramatic shifts in the earth’s composition.
Randall and Graham did a joint episode together as well. Their theories play a strong complementary role to each other and they are riveting when combined.
4. Aubrey Marcus - Aubrey is the founder and owner of Onnit, a supplementation company, and is a business partner with Joe in the venture. Aubrey clearly shares many of Joe’s principles and values in life. He always brings intriguing and inspiring discussions to the studio with Joe. There is always great flow between these two. Their outlooks on proactively attacking life with positivity are infectious.
5. Dr. Carl Hart - Dr. Hart is a professor of psychology and psychiatry at Columbia university. Dr. Hart specializes in addiction and drug abuse. His episodes should be mandatory viewing for every single citizen of the globe.
I would imagine he is a polarizing figure and people are going to have strong reactions either way to his stances on drugs and their role with humanity. His voice and role in society for speaking truth to the state of drug abuse in our modern day is critical.
6. Kyle Kingsbury - Personally not being a big MMA enthusiast I almost skipped over Kyle’s first appearance with Joe but I decided to give it a chance. I am so thankful I did. I was intrigued while watching the entire episode.
Kyle, a former MMA competitor, maintains a serious interest in overall life performance. He directly inspired me to become even more diligent and disciplined with my diet. Kyle’s debut JRE episode also played a role in me taking a break from drinking booze.
7. Michael Wood - Michael is a former Marine and former Baltimore City police officer. Those two credentials lend some major credibility to the sensitive and topical discussion on the state of policing in our country. His ability to pull the curtain back on policing in Baltimore city with complete honesty and in-depth storytelling is captivating.
Wood is a highly impressive individual and does not seem to have any sort of hidden or personal agenda. He seems legitimately troubled by things he encountered as an inner city police officer and is now looking to shed light on what he sees as some troubles with the institution of policing.
8. Russell Brand - Russell is a comedian and actor and overall high wired personality. He has lead a pretty fascinating life including overcoming a major drug addiction and traversing a rather public marriage and divorce to pop star Katy Perry. Russell is a big advocate for exploring consciousness and seeking a more enlightened path in life.
9. Tim Ferriss - Tim is an author, investor, entrepreneur and avid adventurer in all sorts of self-experimentation with life hacks. Some of his experimentation is nuts, but all of his stories and adventures are fascinating. Tim hosts a pretty brilliant podcast himself which I do suggest checking out as well.
10. Sam Harris - Sam is a neuroscientist, author, philosopher, and podcaster. He is a rather polarizing figure and creates a good bit of news and controversy with some of his opinions. I do not agree with everything he says but I am always open to his thoughts and appreciative of just how smart this guy is. He always brings deep and robust discussions to the table with Joe. They have a real solid chemistry together.
Bonus Guest: Jordan Peterson - Jordan is a clinical psychologist and professor and seems to often be embroiled in some sort of controversy relating to his critiques of political correctness. Regardless of your thoughts on some of his views, Jordan clearly has some wisdom to dispense in regards to life and self-empowerment.
The Rise Of Content Online
There is a remarkable amount of content being produced and offered this day and age. The internet has completely blown away the old guard when it comes to means of production and access to outlets of distribution for artists and content producers.
Art and information used to flow from a top-down model with a significant few entities controlling what was made available for the public to consume. Big budgets and complicated equipment were required to record an album or produce video and audio content.
Art and content that did get created had little options for being disseminated to the masses and typically had to pass through the approval of high powered gatekeepers, like record label or television studio executives. These folks at the helm of major entertainment conglomerates were often beholden to boardrooms, stock prices, and profits.
So to say there were conflicting motives for what art and information did get released is an understatement. The internet shattered that model to pieces.
The ability to create and record quality music and video content has never been easier or cheaper. The means and outlets for distributing this content directly to consumers are plentiful. The overlords of the old guard have been rendered merely useless.
Content, art, and ideas can now flow from anyone and spread out amongst the public by the people themselves. There has been an explosion of content online. It is a brilliant new day for the expression and sharing of art, entertainment, and information. The only resulting problem for the public with this new wealth of content is how to wade through it all and get to what is enjoyable for you.
For The Joe Rogan Experience podcast, I am hopefully providing you with a great starting point with this Top Ten Guests list. I would suggest checking out every single episode attributable to each of these guests. You will get to see the evolution of the production quality of the podcast over the years. Starting from a relatively grainy video feed to a now high-definition look in a modest, yet sharp looking studio.
When it comes to selecting other episodes beyond this list I would avoid basing the potential value off of your preconceived views of the guest or the industry they come from. I am not a big MMA fan, however, the Kyle Kingsbury episode was one of the best discussions I ever watched on Joe’s show. I had never even heard of Kyle prior to viewing that episode and thought about skipping over it, but I am thankful I gave it a shot. There was some life inspiring moments in that episode and I am grateful to have watched it.
Beyond The Laughs
The Joe Rogan Experience Podcast has become a favored form of entertainment for me. Ironically enough the comedy and laughs are probably the least of what continually pulls me back to the show.
There are some quality laughs to be had, but the show has provided such a greater and deeper value to me. Joe's basic tenets in life are grounded in the concepts of treating people well and working hard. Everything he does seems to flow from those two principles.
While he goes about working hard he seems to maintain a grand curiosity about the meaning of life and where humanity could be heading. His intrigue with humanity tends to attract like-minded and wildly interesting guests to his platform. A platform Joe created which allows for long-form conversations to be had away from the trappings and confines of big corporate executives with their corporate agendas. It is the breadth and depth of these conversations that have provided me with countless hours of impactful entertainment.
Go dig into the Joe Rogan Experience Top Ten Guests list and leave a comment with your favorite guest. If you are already a faithful member of the JRE world, leave a comment with a guest that I left off and need to pay tribute to as well.
Be sure to also check out our retrospective feature The Joe Rogan Experience Top Ten Guests Of 2017, which honors another brilliant year for Joe and his diverse range of guests.